Radio
Now Playing
Quickyla Radio — Click to play
Open →
3 min left
Back to News

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history

The Ebola outbreak ‌in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the death toll ⁠from the 2018-2020 outbreak ⁠to become the deadliest in the country’s history. T…

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s history
Al Jazeera — 16 August 2026
Text:
5 0 0

The Ebola outbreak ‌in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the death toll ⁠from the 2018-2020 outbreak ⁠to become the deadliest in the country’s history.

The confirmed number of people infected with the virus has risen to 4,945, including 101 new cases detected in the previous ⁠24 hours, the DRC’s National Public Health Institute said in its latest report on Sunday.

“The outbreak is the fastest growing on record ,” Tom Fletcher, the United Nations humanitarian chief, said in a statement on Friday. “We need speed, scale, and solidarity before this virus gets even further ahead of us.”

The outbreak, the DRC’s 17th, was already the biggest in the country’s history in terms of number of cases – a milestone reached in late July. The latest government data shows that the total number of deaths has ⁠surpassed the 2,299 deaths recorded in the 2018-2020 outbreak, which was previously the country’s worst on record.

“Ebola is winning in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. We cannot let the virus outrun our response,” Fletcher said as he outlined the latest efforts to contain the virus.

On Wednesday, World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that at its current pace, the outbreak is on track to eclipse the West African Ebola outbreak of 2014 to 2016, a crisis that killed more than 11,000 people and accelerated the push to develop a vaccine.

The current outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola virus, which has no approved vaccines or treatments. The outbreak has gained momentum since it was declared on May 15, as weak health infrastructure, the region’s remoteness, and ongoing conflict near the DRC’s borders with South Sudan, Uganda, and Rwanda have hindered response efforts.

The proportion of people dying from the outbreak after ⁠a confirmed infection, known as the case fatality ratio, has risen from about 20 percent ⁠in early June to 46 percent, according to government data, meaning nearly one in every two confirmed cases is now deadly.

Read Full Story at Al Jazeera →
Advertisement
React:
Sources
Sponsored

More to Read

Hungary nominates former Supreme Court chief Andras Baka fo…
🌍 World News
Hungary nominates former Supreme Court chief Andras Baka for presidency
Al Jazeera · 8 days ago
US Senate passes sweeping Russian energy sanctions bill ami…
🌍 World News
US Senate passes sweeping Russian energy sanctions bill amid Ukraine war
Al Jazeera · 9 days ago
Ethiopian landslide during monastery ritual kills 14, searc…
🌍 World News
Ethiopian landslide during monastery ritual kills 14, search for missing ongoing
Religion News Service · 11 days ago
Iran war live: Trilateral Mecca defence pact signed, as Hor…
🌍 World News
Iran war live: Trilateral Mecca defence pact signed, as Hormuz deal looms
Al Jazeera · 9 days ago
Saudi intelligence chief meets Iraqi PM, renews Riyadh visi…
🌍 World News
Saudi intelligence chief meets Iraqi PM, renews Riyadh visit invitation
Al Jazeera · 8 days ago
Here’s the biggest news you missed this weekend
🌍 World News
Here’s the biggest news you missed this weekend
NBC News · 14 days ago
Full view