ABC sues FCC, claims retaliation for Trump criticism in election coverage
ABC is suing the FCC, alleging that the agency's investigations into its election coverage and streaming services are retaliatory actions due to the network's criticism of Donald Trump. The lawsuit sโฆ
ABC filed a First Amendment lawsuit against the FCC on Tuesday, alleging the agencyโs regulatory actions and investigations were retaliation for the networkโs criticism of former President Donald Trump. The suit claims the FCCโs recent probes into ABCโs election coverage and its streaming services are part of a broader effort to punish the network for its outspoken coverage of the Trump administration. ABC seeks an immediate injunction to halt the FCCโs investigations and to prevent further enforcement actions that it says are politically motivated.
The lawsuit is a response to a pattern of FCC scrutiny that began in 2022 when the agency opened investigations into ABCโs coverage of the 2024 presidential campaign. Earlier this year, the FCC also launched a probe into ABCโs streaming platform for alleged violations of the โpublic safetyโ rule that governs how broadcasters must handle emergency alerts. ABCโs lawyers argue that these investigations coincide with a wave of criticism from Trump, who has repeatedly branded the network a โfake newsโ outlet and called for punitive measures. The case underscores a longโstanding tension between the FCCโs regulatory mandate and the First Amendment rights of news organizations.
ABCโs complaint details that the FCCโs actions were triggered by the networkโs reporting on Trumpโs business dealings and his refusal to release tax returns. The suit cites a 2023 FCC memo that listed ABC among the โmost criticalโ networks, a designation that the network claims was used to justify heightened scrutiny. ABC also points to the FCCโs 2022 enforcement action that fined the network $2.5 million for alleged violations of the public interest standard. In its filing, ABCโs attorney, Lisa Nguyen, said the FCCโs conduct โamounts to a retaliatory campaign that undermines the publicโs right to a free press.โ The FCC has not yet issued a formal response.
The lawsuit will be heard in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. If the court grants ABCโs request, the FCC could be barred from continuing its investigations for the duration of the case. The outcome could set a precedent for how the FCC can engage with media outlets that criticize the government, and may prompt other broadcasters to file similar challenges. The case also highlights the growing politicisation of the FCCโs enforcement powers, raising questions about how regulatory agencies balance publicโinterest obligations with protection of free speech.
Read Full Story at Deadline Hollywood โ


